My Unimpressive 40th Birthday
by Rob Cottignies
This story might bore you. That is not an accident.
I woke up at 5 o’clock the morning of the 40th
birthday and had to run into the bathroom. I will exclude details but it was
not pretty.
Some people are afraid of turning 40. Some people also
think large rocks millions of miles away affect our moods.
But, possibly because one of those rocks, my nose
began leaking.
Not running. Leaking.
While eating breakfast, I suppressed a sneeze even
though I am very aware of how bad doing that can be. Then a second sneeze
sneaked up on me and was loud enough to evoke an ‘Eeeewwww!!!!’ from some girl
in the café.
I blew my nose and what emerged was deep orange in
color, like dark egg yolk.
‘Strange’, I thought. ‘But I am eating an
omelet, so the coloring is probably from that.’
What a ridiculous idea.
(Mind you, I had survived four decades and learned basic
Science.)
My nose would not stop emitting the orange goop and I
was mildly concerned, dreading the idea of spending my birthday (or any day,
really) in a hospital.
The episode ceased about an hour later but was enough
to qualify as traumatic.
…
I planned to spend my 40th by myself since
that’s what happens anyway. I pretend it makes me more comfortable. I dislike
attention and wanted to do as I pleased without having to consider anyone else.
But why go to Maryland, a place some have described as
a sad glop of sauce on an otherwise delicious 50-piece pizza?
(As far as I know, I am the only person who has ever said
that.)
A Faroese singer named Eivør was starting her first-ever
U.S. tour on my birthday, so I got a fourth-row ticket and was actually excited
for the show.
The National Museum of Health & Medicine, which displays
odd things in medical history, was a 45-minute walk from the hotel. Add a
Dominican restaurant along the route and my birthday was set.
Then the museum temporarily closed.
Then the Eivør show was postponed.
(Remember COVID?)
…
Despite my birthday plans being eliminated, I went to
Maryland anyway, since my hotel room was not refundable.
During my walks around Silver Spring, I saw a homeless
woman begging for change in the same spot for long periods of time on
consecutive days. I have not worked a “proper” job since 2007, so perhaps my
memory is foggy, but I recall it being a lot like going to the same spot for
long periods of time on consecutive days. Of course, I know nothing of her
situation, but in the face of that ignorance- get a job.
Instead of sulking around Silver Spring (which I
considered), I ventured into Washington, D.C. and went to the African American
History & Culture Museum, which was much bigger than I had thought and very
detailed. Excellent, interesting place.
After the museum, I faced a dilemma- walk a short
distance to what appeared to be an average bar/restaurant or walk 45 minutes to
a beer garden I could not find much information about.
The latter sounded more exciting, though I wished some
of that missing information had been available. I never want a big production
for my birthday, but the girl who checked my identification should have at
least acknowledged it.
The place was a sad sprawl of tables with a limited
beer list and no food. Bavarians of the 1800s would be furious.
Hungry and unsatisfied, I decided to take the train
back to Maryland.
…
The homeless woman was still there, I continued giving
her nothing, and going to the hotel to collect myself seemed like a great idea.
While waiting for my frozen beer to thaw because the
refrigerator was awful, I decided to order edamame and lo mein.
Yes, I had my 40th birthday dinner alone in
a hotel room. And yes, I was OK with that.
Not wanting the entire night to be dull, I went to a
nearby brewery to read.
I sat and there was a woman at the next table. In my
40 years, I have never tried to pick up a female in a bar, so I thought it was
about time.
I watched her for a little bit (probably like a creep)
and noticed she did not have a beer. I also saw her repeatedly look at her
phone, as if she was waiting to hear from somebody.
And then he walked in.
Moustache, thick-framed glasses, plaid shirt- the
whole generic hipster stereotype.
I was mildly bummed at first but that went away
quickly after hearing her speak. She was LOUD, seemingly to make up for how
dull she appeared.
(Perhaps as dull as this birthday story.)
…
To recap, my 40th birthday consisted of
early-morning diarrhea, a leaky nose, a puzzling homeless woman, an awesome
museum, a long walk that was not worth it, dinner by myself in a hotel room, a
failed potential date, and going to bed before midnight.
The next day, I put my parking receipt into a machine,
which then asked for my credit card. After that got stuck, I called the number
on the machine and spoke to a guy who was polite but not helpful. This was a
Saturday morning and he suggested I wait until Monday when “they” would be able
to retrieve my card.
I then found out it was a free weekend and the gates
were open, meaning I could have just left without interacting with the machine at
all.
(For anyone interested, I cancelled the card after
much unnecessary frustration.)
The nice part of the weekend was hanging out at my
friends’ brewery with them and various other people I have known for a long
time, including a guy who flew across the country just for it.
There were many laughs, tasty beers, and even a Golden
Girls sing-along.
Overall, it was a good weekend.
I hope your special days are even better. Cheers.


No comments:
Post a Comment