Wednesday, August 07, 2024

A Lighter Poem

 

A Lighter Poem

This is a poem
About my lighter
As the title homographically suggests

I lost my lighter
While visiting an old friend
Well, she isn’t that old but
I hadn’t seen her in a while
Ironically, she was there when I bought it
But that was in another country

Anyway, it was broken and used
(The lighter, not my friend)
The flint wore thin
And it was out of gas
It was mine and that’s all that mattered
“Solid Brass” it said to me
While begging to be lit
Although it was rarely used
It ran out of gas anyway

My friend was also mine once
(If only in my head)
And I lost her just as easily
She didn’t fall out of my pocket
She fell off of my heart
The plummet took a while
Since I am empty inside
She set me aflame
The way my lighter ignited cigarettes
I did not smoke
Sometimes I think to myself
‘Maybe the lighter was stolen’
In the same way she was
From right under my nose
In my grasp
She slipped through swiftly
Lighter than an emotion…

No comments:

Post a Comment