Wednesday, August 07, 2024

Reflections On Vagabonding

 


Reflections On Vagabonding

Last weekend marked the end of living aimlessly for me.

(This round, anyway.)

I’ve been waiting for this almost since it began, over 20 months ago. Some of my first memories from the journey include taking a picture of myself being sad and going on a road trip I knew was a bad idea simply because I was desperate to follow someone else’s guidance.

And those were in the early days, not even two months in.

Since then, I’ve visited some great places and seen some amazing things but much of the time has been spent by myself. I’ve always had many solo experiences but discovered the feeling of loneliness along the way.

Among other things, I drove across the country twice, visited 20 state capitol buildings, and went to 28 National Park Service sites.

And I have very little to show for it.

My one constant emotion has been frustration. Disappointment and regret have also made frequent appearances.

Plus, I’m very introverted and don’t usually communicate with strangers.

As my former therapist said many times- “Wherever you go, you can never escape yourself.”

So, what have I learned?

Sadly, not much.

During this time, I’ve taken up no hobbies nor learned any skills. I’ve done a lot of driving while listening to books and podcasts but largely without purpose.

I was never even able to get myself to consistently exercise or read.

And all that might be fine if I had something worthwhile to brag about.

I can’t help but think this whole time was wasted on me; that this opportunity should have gone to somebody else who would use it wisely.

What will be different now that I have a place to call my own?

Well, firstly, I don’t. The house may be mine but I’m renting it from a friend so she can move in with her parents to help them.

She hasn’t done nor said anything to make this so, but I doubt I’ll ever escape feeling like this is just another place to be. And I’ll probably never refer to it as my house.

Arguably, I’ve never had a place to truly call my own. Maybe this is just a continuation.

Or, perhaps, I just needed a pause in order to gain some sort of direction.

So much time has been spent doing nothing and/or being angry when I could have at least been enjoying the moment. I wanted to be grateful for all I had yet could never get to that point.

My basic needs were met. I always had a bed to sleep in and food to eat and clothes to wear. My car ran successfully every time. Hell, I never even got a cold during my journey.

Not that I wish any of these were their opposites, but maybe experiencing them could have helped me grow a little.

I really don’t know what to expect from my time here. A goal is finishing a screenplay that’s been “in the works” for a long time, but I’ve aimed at that before and done little.

I’d like to start a company that raises funds for charities. The way I look at it is that if I’m not doing anything great, at least I can support those who are. But I can’t say for sure whether or not that will be realized.

I want to volunteer at a library and/or animal shelter, though I did both last year yet found ‘come by whenever’ attitudes and fairly quickly lost interest.

I want to take a class of some kind.

I want to work on writing comedy.

I want, I want, I want.

Yet, what will actually happen? I guess we’ll find out…


No comments:

Post a Comment