Wednesday, August 07, 2024

New Orleans

 

New Orleans

 Six months from now
We already know where we'll be
It will be the end of us
But, in order for something to end
There has to be a beginning
We can start now and make it beautiful
So we'll never need to look back and say
"I wish that had happened"
Don't run away when you haven't yet left
I'm not going anywhere
Except to the moon, with you
From there, we could see
What very few people know
The Earth is shaped like a heart
And I'd go all over it to find you
If you leave or not
You'll be implanted in my head
Each time my eyes close
Each time I look out the window
Each time I go to our field
Clear as day, radiant as ever
When you speak it won't hurt me
Thinking of you numbs my body
There's no way I could forget that feeling

Six months from now
You can read this over and over
To realize what you've left behind
But hopefully you'll know what you once had
Me
In a way I hope these words haunt you
A ghost sings you to sleep every night
He used to do the same to me
Singing about how things could be
If I only expressed myself
So here is my confession:
You have completely changed me
And I can't thank you enough
But to make the whole transition
I need what I've always needed
You

The future is not set
We can cross bridges when we come to them
And in six months
How will we end it?
With a kiss followed by silence?
With tears falling into puddles?
Or something more simple-
"If you're ever there look me up"
I've looked you up and down
And I know when things are meant to be
So we will meet again
Not now, not soon
But I know I will see you
In New Orleans...

No comments:

Post a Comment