Wednesday, August 07, 2024

My Tattoos

 

My Tattoos


When I turned 18, I wanted to get as many tattoos as possible.

Before doing that, however, I promised myself that the first one had to have a personal meaning for me.

I don’t know about the success there, but I definitely waited, which was great because I would probably be covered in logos of bands I no longer listen to, in addition to who-knows-what else.

My current count is seven and they represent me pretty well.

(I reached out to Starlight for the names of the first two artists but they never responded.)

#1 – Ouroboros
by ??? @ Starlight in Rochelle Park, New Jersey


Like all cool kids, I got my first tattoo with my mom.

Hers was a tiger lily, because her name was Lillian and… I don’t know… I guess she was ferocious.

An ouroboros is a creature from many mythologies and cultures that represents both destruction and rebirth, symbolized by eating its own tail. Self-sustainment, too, I thought was significant.

I gave the artist three designs and asked him to combine them. The most important element to me was that many small parts made up one larger entity. I simply liked the coloring and the wings.

#2 – Groucho Marx
by ??? @ Starlight in Rochelle Park, New Jersey


I grew up watching The Marx Brothers, mostly because my maternal grandfather (who also introduced me to Monty Python) was a fan.

What I admire most about Groucho is the speed with which he spoke. His jokes hit so fast that laughing at one would mean missing the next.

I could never be that quick-witted but always enjoyed that he was.

The quote “Whatever it is, I’m against it.” is from the 1932 film Horse Feathers, specifically part of a song Groucho sings.

For me, the line signifies looking at all sides of an issue before reaching a conclusion. I also tend to refuse anything offered to me.

I don’t regret getting the quote around Groucho’s silhouette but there are two issues:

1) When I wear a regular T-shirt, only the ‘I’m against it’ part is visible, which has prompted many people to inquire what I dislike. Some guy even lifted up my sleeve to see the rest but then freaked out when I asked if he commonly lifts up unknown men’s shirts.

2) I could have (and probably still can) gotten silhouettes of many of my heroes- among them Andy Kaufman, Stanly Kubrick, and George Carlin- around Groucho. There’s room but I feel like it would look silly now.

#3 – Rune
by Chip @ Reykjavik Ink in Reykjavik, Iceland


When I first contacted Reykjavik Ink, I had a vision.

I imagined a person with Viking ancestry (who was also dressed like one) would give me the tattoo and find it so interesting I was getting a Rune that not only would we talk about it during the session, but we’d continue the conversation over a beer after.

I wasn’t naïve enough to think that would actually happen, but something like it was a hope.

Instead…

I checked in and was told to go to the waiting area until the artist was ready.

Then I heard, in a thick Southern American accent, ‘All right, man, where we puttin’ this thing?’

They’d stuck me with the American. My Viking dream was shattered.

And he wasn’t even conversational! I figured we’d at least bond over being from the same country.

But no. Twenty mostly silent minutes later, I left and got the beer I’d been thinking about. Alone.

The Runes form an ancient Scandinavian alphabet (actually two- elder and younger) called the Futhark.

As for the Rune itself, it’s called Raidho, which signifies wanderlust, order, and a curiosity about oneself.

The design was originally going to be fairly standard, but I’d recently seen a dotted-outline tattoo and thought that was more interesting.

Also, Chip tried to convince me to get it the opposite way, so I could show the Rune to the world. ‘But it’s for me’, I said. And that was that.

The Rune looking like the first letter of my name is just a happy coincidence.

#4 – Black hole
by Matt @ Starlight in Rochelle Park, New Jersey


This was modeled after Gargantua, the black hole from the film Interstellar.

I greatly enjoy both that piece of art and Astronomy in general, so it seemed appropriate.

Matt did not color parts of the tattoo because he felt it looked better, but asked me to think about it for a few days before deciding if that would be the permanent design. At first, I was unsure but grew to like it more when I looked at it as meaning part of me was in the black hole.

#5 – Potato clock
by Jones @ Six Daggers in Boise, Idaho


A friend suggested this design because the 12:00 (though I probably should have gotten 00:00) represented midnight on December 31, 2022, when I would officially be rid of the house I grew up in.

The potato idea was simply because I was in Idaho.

Jones was very excited when I asked about the tattoo because he had made actual potato clocks in Science class as a teenager.

#6 – House on fire
by Andrew @ Shogun in Pasadena, California


I found the design of a building on fire interesting.

Then I realized I’d have to choose the structure.

What better place than my childhood home, right? (I have some unresolved issues.)

I selected the place, sent a picture to Andrew, and was ready to get it permanently inked onto my chest.

We took a break when he was done with the outline. Looking at the artwork in a mirror, I noticed just how accurate it was. And then it all dawned on me.

I think it’s the most visually-stunning piece on my body but is also probably the most impactful, though I’m unsure of my capability to grasp such a thing.

#7 – Semicolon and brain
by Cohen @ Apocalypse Girl in Cary, North Carolina


Project Semicolon began in 2013 and the semicolon has been a symbol of having dealt with mental issues and/or suicide.

I attended an out-patient mental health program and wanted to acknowledge its completion.

My original idea was to just get a semicolon on the side of my hand, but I realized it needed to be more personalized.

So, I decided on a brain outline and discussed it with Cohen, who drew up several ideas for the tattoo’s look.

After some tweaking, the chosen design was done fairly quickly and now it’s something I see every day as a reminder of… I’ll just say traumatic experiences.

Future tattoo ideas

ETWAS
I’ve been learning German for several years and want to get a tattoo of something in that language to represent it. I am also a fan of very corny puns. The word ‘etwas’ is German for ‘something’.

COMEDY/TRAGEDY MASKS
I often look at as many aspects of a situation as possible. This tattoo will symbolize the duality of emotions, both shown by masks, which can hide what’s truly being felt.

PFEILSTORCH (German meaning ‘arrow stork’)
In the early 1800s, a bird was seen in Germany with an arrow through it. The weapon was made from wood that was only found in Africa, and the notion that birds migrate in Winter was born. I like that such an important thing was discovered by accident.

 

No comments:

Post a Comment