About Me

My photo
Emmaus, Pennsylvania, United States
My name is Rob and I'm fairly scatter-brained. I have no children and never plan on being a father, so this blog (that I've had since high school) will serve as my legacy. It's for information about me but also serves as an outlet to (somewhat) organize my thoughts. I enjoy hiking, reading/writing at cafés, travel, doing social things although I'm introverted, trying stand-up comedy, museums, litter pick-ups, volunteer work...

Saturday, August 17, 2024

What's The Difference?


These lists explain the differences between commonly confused things.

Comment at the bottom of this page to suggest things you are too lazy to look up yourself. I would be glad to do that work for you.

 Enjoy!

...

***NEWEST DIFFERENCES***
19 May, 2026

apathy/indifference, causation/correlation, dead/deceased, dissociation/disassociation, giant/gigantic/huge/enormous, less/fewer, pessimism/cynicism
(all in the Grammar section)

...

ANIMALS

Examples: alligator/crocodile, insect/bug, turtle/tortoise

COMMON THINGS
Examples: country/nation, concrete/cement, jail/prison

GRAMMAR

Examples: farther/further, infamous/notorious, your/you're

PEOPLE

Examples: half/step siblings, LGBTQ+, psychopath/sociopath

RELIGION

Examples: Amish/Mennonites, Sunni/Shia, branches of Christianity

SCIENCE

Examples: asteroid/meteor, metric/imperial, special/general relativity


SOURCES
Google, Mental Floss, Wikipedia, Kestrel Meters, Diffen, National Oceanic & Atmospheric Administration, Encyclopedia Brittanica, Family Search, Garden Design, National Snow& Ice Data Center, Quora, PBS, Learn Religions, History, My Jewish Learning, BBC, Grammarist, The Atlantic, The Phrase Finder, Thought Co., Criminal Defense Lawyer, Space.com, Clark Exterminating Company, Arizona State University, American Museum of Natural History, Online Etymology Dictionary, The Mayo Clinic, Understanding Dwarfism, Sciencing, Grammarly, Vice.com, Library of Congress, Bon Appetit, North Carolina Sweet Potatoes, National Center for Biotechnological Information, National Health Service (UK), Senate.gov, CNN.com, Spark Notes, MIT School of Engineering, Worldstandards.eu, Oscars.org, Emmys.com, TonyAwards.com, Outright International, Forces.net, GoodYearBlimp.com, Greenbelly Meals, American Museum of Natural History; Utah Geological Survey, www.gotquestions.org

7 comments:

  1. Anonymous16:35

    Midget/dwarf

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That has been added and can be found under the PEOPLE section. Thanks for suggesting!

      Delete
  2. Anonymous20:01

    Thank you. Your explanations are pithy, substantive, and not lacking in nuance for their relative brevity. You research and synthesize your various sources to create accessible definitions. Could you delineate the difference between sweet potatoes and yams? I've heard conflicting information about this, and find myself using them interchangeably. Thanks, and I've been enjoying your blog.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! I have worked hard and knowing it is appreciated is refreshing. I will include sweet potatoes/yams in the next update. Great suggestion.

      Delete
  3. Anonymous22:00

    Interesting update on the yams/sweet potatoes, and I now suspect my grocery store is mislabeling sweet potatoes as yams. I had no idea the history of this confusion is rooted in slavery. Such a sad element to this, but definitely enlightening. Thanks again!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hey Thanks for sharing this blog its very helpful to implement in our work



    Regards
    Best Landscaping company in India

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for the comment. Where did you see this? And how did my blog help your landscaping company?

      Delete